Mar 03, 2024
CT State Community College Catalog 2023-2024
- New students enrolling for the first time in Fall 2023 will begin as students of Connecticut State Community College under this catalog.
- Continuing students from one of the 12 community colleges will be transitioned into a CT State program in this catalog as of the start of the Fall 2023 term.
- The policies, courses and programs described are applicable as of the Fall 2023 term and may be updated as circumstances require.
The Exercise Science Program is designed to provide fundamental and theoretical knowledge as well as practical skills necessary to assume the role of a health fitness professional in commercial and clinical settings. With an emphasis on exercise physiology and health, the program integrates cutting edge research with fundamental theories of learning and basic clinical skills. Graduates of the program will be prepared for a career in health fitness and will demonstrate sound communication skills, lifelong learning, safe and effective care, within their legal scope, and compassion for those they work with.
Upon successful completion of all program requirements, graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of human anatomy and physiology, exercise physiology and knowledge in a holistic wellness model that promotes health beyond just the physical aspect.
- Demonstrate sound knowledge and clinical skills needed for health screenings, exercise testing and exercise prescription with a variety of populations.
- Demonstrate an understanding of a variety of public health concerns including physical inactivity, nutrition, chronic disease and disability and human performance.
- Develop leadership, interpersonal, and communication skills which lead to increased collaboration with a variety of health care professionals in a multidisciplinary approach to wellness.
- Practice sound, prudent, and ethical functions necessary in health fitness and allied health professions.
Career Opportunities are available in:
- Human performance Centers
- Personal Training
- Wellness Centers
- Rehabilitation Centers
- Corporate Wellness Centers
- Community Centers
General Education Courses (22-24 credits)
Program Courses (38 credits)