CT State Community College Catalog 2023-2024
- New students enrolling for the first time in Fall 2023 will begin as students of Connecticut State Community College under this catalog.
- Continuing students from one of the 12 community colleges will be transitioned into a CT State program in this catalog as of the start of the Fall 2023 term.
- The policies, courses and programs described are applicable as of the Fall 2023 term and may be updated as circumstances require.
In today’s fast-paced, technology-driven workplace, administrative support professionals are highly valued members of any organization. They must use technology to originate, access, manage and manipulate information. In addition, they function independently in initiating office communications, accessing and tracking records and information, and problem-solving the various details of the day-to-day office operations. As contributing members of management teams, administrative professionals must assume a high level of responsibility and work independently to exercise initiative and judgment and to adapt to new technologies and procedures.
This option provides students with the skills necessary to excel in this rapidly changing and challenging office environment. Students will become skilled in keyboarding, word processing, business and computerized communication, and office applications and procedures.
Graduates of this program have gained entry-level employment in a variety of administrative support settings throughout the local communities. Graduates have recently been placed in positions at colleges and universities, insurance carriers, elementary and secondary schools, construction companies, municipalities, home health and social organizations, etc.
Upon successful completion of all Business Office Technology degree program requirements, graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate keyboarding and data-entry speed and accuracy, including proofreading, using industry accepted standards.
- Create and modify standard types of business communications in both printed and electronic forms.
- Acquire up-to-date skills in the following areas: accounting, word processing, spreadsheet, database, project management, presentation, personal information management, web technologies, and speech recognition.
- Show effective time management and organizational skills.
- Display strong interpersonal and human relations skills required for success in a professional setting including: professionalism, adaptability to change, initiative, confidentiality, positive attitude and human relations and creativity.
- Demonstrate decision-making ability; acquire and utilize information to solve problems; demonstrate computer knowledge; communication skills and business procedures using ability-based projects; and demonstrate responsibility, positive attitude, self-management, honesty and confidentiality.
- Contribute as a productive team member in a culturally and intellectually diverse global environment.
Upon successful completion of all Office Option requirements, graduates will be able to:
- Exhibit verbal, non-verbal and written communication skills.
- Perform advanced business application skills.
- Develop a portfolio that showcases talents, promotes self-evaluation, and provides validation for employment or promotion.
- Apply business concepts and critical thinking skills to make sound professional and ethical decisions in the workplace.
Upon completion of this option, graduates can elect to take the following industry-recognized certifications:
- Microsoft Office Specialist (certifications by exam per application)
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)
- Certified Administrative Professional (CAP)