CT State Community College Catalog 2023-2024
- New students enrolling for the first time in Fall 2023 will begin as students of Connecticut State Community College under this catalog.
- Continuing students from one of the 12 community colleges will be transitioned into a CT State program in this catalog as of the start of the Fall 2023 term.
- The policies, courses and programs described are applicable as of the Fall 2023 term and may be updated as circumstances require.
The Health Information Technology - Data Management program provides an understanding of the many aspects of the emerging field of healthcare technology and information management.
Health information professionals are involved in the design, collection, storage, utilization, and transmission of data required to meet the professional, legal, financial, and administrative record- keeping requirements of healthcare delivery systems. They work with clinical, financial, epidemiological, administrative, and coded healthcare and insurance data. This associate degree program provides a concentration in data management and will provide students the skills necessary to enter the job market in a health information technician role.
PROGRAM ACCREDITATION: Health Information Technology - Data Management at the Middlesex campus is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM).
PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATION: Graduates of the Health Information Technology - Data Management degree program are eligible to sit for American Health Information Management association (AHIMA) Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT®) certification exam. A credential provides proof of competency in the field and is often a requirement for Health Information Management positions.
Program Learning Outcomes:
- Apply knowledge of data content structure and standards to evaluate data sources, apply classification system guidelines including International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision, Clinical Modification (ICD-10-CM), International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision, Procedure Coding System ( ICD-10-PCS), Current Procedural Terminology (CPT), Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System, Level II (HCPCS II), and Systematized Nomenclature of Medicine (SNOMED), and ensure health record documentation is complete and accurate.
- Protect health information by controlling access, ensuring information security, and understanding the legal and ethical issues in the use of health data.
- Participate in the implementation and use of information technology in the healthcare organization including establishing data standards, ensuring data quality, utilizing decision support tools, and performing data analysis.
- Utilize healthcare data to manage the revenue cycle of the healthcare organization through understanding of payment methods and systems in all care settings.
- Evaluate organization compliance with regulations and standards to support licensing, accreditation, and reimbursement.
- Apply information governance principles by collecting, storing, protecting, and using organizational data strategically, especially in performance improvement activities.
- Understand and apply knowledge of pathophysiology, pharmacology, anatomy & physiology, medical terminology, computer concepts and computer applications as they relate to health information management.
The courses are offered fully online, allowing students to access the program from any location.