CT State Community College Catalog 2023-2024
- New students enrolling for the first time in Fall 2023 will begin as students of Connecticut State Community College under this catalog.
- Continuing students from one of the 12 community colleges will be transitioned into a CT State program in this catalog as of the start of the Fall 2023 term.
- The policies, courses and programs described are applicable as of the Fall 2023 term and may be updated as circumstances require.
The Medical Billing and Outpatient Coding Specialist Certificate program prepares students for entry level positions in medical billing, outpatient medical coding, and health information in physician’s offices, hospitals, ambulatory care centers, telehealth, health insurance companies, and other allied health venues. Process claims submissions for compliant and equitable reimbursement. The healthcare industry is facing significant changes in how providers and insurers generate, maintain, and communicate documentation related to medical records, insurance, coding, and financial reimbursement.
- Identify and compare reimbursement methodologies.
- Summarize principles related to healthcare privacy, confidentiality, legal and ethical issues.
- Use current Electronic Medical Record (EMR) software to manage provider reimbursement and patient health information.
- Prepare revenue cycle documents by utilizing International Classification of Disease - Clinical Modification (ICD-10-CM), Current Procedural Terminology (CPT), and Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS) II reference material.
- Review and abstract information needed to support accurate outpatient coding and health record documentation for completeness and accuracy.
- Interpret healthcare data to determine claim status, resolve claim denials, submit appeals, post payments and adjustments, and manage collections.
- Apply Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH), and Protected Health Information (PHI) regulations as they apply in the outpatient setting.
Eligible for Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) specialized funding that affects program length or structure. It prepares students for a national industry certification. A coding credential provides proof of competency in the field and is often a requirement for clinical coding-related and healthcare revenue management positions.
National Health Care Association (NHA)
- CBCS - Certified Billing and Coding Specialist
- CMAA - Certified Medical Administrative Assistant
American Association of Professional Coders (AAPC)
- CPB - Certified Professional Biller
- COC - Certified Outpatient Coder
- CPC - Certified Professional Coder