CT State Community College Catalog 2023-2024
- New students enrolling for the first time in Fall 2023 will begin as students of Connecticut State Community College under this catalog.
- Continuing students from one of the 12 community colleges will be transitioned into a CT State program in this catalog as of the start of the Fall 2023 term.
- The policies, courses and programs described are applicable as of the Fall 2023 term and may be updated as circumstances require.
Students who complete the certificate in Technical Communication are prepared and empowered to be an effective communicator with the ability to write, illustrate, and speak about technical subjects in media, advertising, and business industries. This certificate can be completed in one semester, or applied to the TAP Communication or the Digital Arts Technology degree program and for transfer to BA/ BS programs at other colleges.
Upon successful completion of all program requirements, graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate increased competencies in writing and speaking skills.
- Effectively articulate technical procedures to co-workers, management, and customers.
- Utilize current computer software, audio, and video tools in preparing technical presentations.
- Critically analyze diverse uses of technical communication, including current trends and effects of mass media, and the social impact of mass media on individuals and our American culture.
- Assess and articulate how various channels of mass media communication influence message content.
This certificate is focused on retraining workers who have a desire to improve their technical communication skills. DAT courses in this program require access to the Naugatuck DAT Computer Studio Lab or a student must have a computer with specialized software (including Adobe Creative Cloud, Autodesk’s Maya, and others as industry dictates) to take the Hy-Flex courses.
DAT courses are available offered at the Naugatuck Valley Campus as Hy-Flex; HyFlex or BlendFlex is offered in the traditional classroom setting; it allows for virtual attendance since it is being broadcast (and recorded).