CT State Community College Catalog 2023-2024
- New students enrolling for the first time in Fall 2023 will begin as students of Connecticut State Community College under this catalog.
- Continuing students from one of the 12 community colleges will be transitioned into a CT State program in this catalog as of the start of the Fall 2023 term.
- The policies, courses and programs described are applicable as of the Fall 2023 term and may be updated as circumstances require.
The Professional Baker Certificate program is designed to further education and training for those already in the field, as well as accommodate people entering careers in the Culinary Arts. Academic credits from this program may be transferred to associate degree programs in Culinary Arts and Foodservice Management.
Along with classroom and laboratory study, students will participate in an individually planned, 150 or 300-hour cooperative work experience course, earning credit toward graduation while employed. Graduates may transfer credits and earn baccalaureate degrees at various institutions of higher learning. Students may enroll in this program full or part-time, day or evening.
Upon successful completion of all Professional Baker certificate program requirements, graduates will
- Professionalism: Summarize basic principles and concepts of the hospitality industry with its varied career tracks, and apply personal skills, including but not limited to adherence to accepted professional standards and codes of conduct.
- Teamwork: Recognize the importance of working groups, mutual responsibility, and diversity of thought to effective outcomes.
- Culinary Skills: Analyze theory and techniques skills of food preparation and presentation.
- Safety & Sanitation: Safely operate commercial kitchen equipment in an efficient manner and apply safety and environmental sanitation standards of foodservice operations to obtain a ServSafe® certificate.
- Technology: Apply technology to food service and hospitality operations.
- Baking Skills: Develop knowledge and skills in basic baking and pastry arts, including cake decorating and artisan breads.
- Classical Techniques: Learn the basics of classical techniques in culinary and pastry arts and how they apply to current trends.
- Cooperative Experience: Transfer knowledge and apply skills in a production environment to obtain experience in the food service industry.
Industry Certifications Offered within program:
ServSafe® Food Protection Manager, and TIPS® Training Industry Certifications prepared for by program: Certified Fundamentals Cook®, Certified Culinarian®.