CT State Community College Catalog 2023-2024
- New students enrolling for the first time in Fall 2023 will begin as students of Connecticut State Community College under this catalog.
- Continuing students from one of the 12 community colleges will be transitioned into a CT State program in this catalog as of the start of the Fall 2023 term.
- The policies, courses and programs described are applicable as of the Fall 2023 term and may be updated as circumstances require.
Students interested in careers in geography, urban planning, earth and environmental studies, tourism, international relations, digital data and mapping, and any form of global studies should consider this program. The Geography Studies, Associate in Arts degree provides flexibility and will allow a student to pursue a career requiring an associate degree or transfer to a four-year institution to pursue a bachelor’s degree in geography, geography-related fields, or almost any other liberal arts program.
Upon completion of all program requirements, graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the basic concepts of physical and human geography and the methods of critical analysis geographer’s use.
- Comprehend how geographers use spatial tools (maps, statistics, etc.) to help analyze and assess global activities.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of spatial analysis, and how different fields within geography illustrate the interdependence of global systems.
- Apply basic knowledge and research skills that are sufficient to allow one to pursue a Bachelor’s degree in geography or an associated field, and/or find employment in a geography-related field that requires an Associate degree.
This program is transfer focused. It is designed to prepare students with an interest in geography, urban planning, earth and environmental issues, tourism, international relations, digital data and mapping, and any form of global studies to transfer to a four-year college or university in pursuit of a bachelor’s degree.
With this degree students will be able to transfer to the following majors:
At Central Connecticut State University:
Geography with Specialization in Environmental Geography, B.A.
Geography with Specialization in General/Regional Geography, B.A.
Geography with Specialization in Geographic Information Science, B.A.
Geography with Specialization in Planning, B.A.
Geography with Specialization in Tourism, B.A.
At Southern Connecticut State University:
Geography - Concentration: Geographic Information Science and Technology, B.S.