Jul 17, 2024  
2024-2025 Academic Catalog 
2024-2025 Academic Catalog

Getting Started at CT State


Apply for admission by creating an account and completing the online application. Be advised that applicants must provide:

  • proof of high school or college graduation or GED and
  • proof of immunity to measles, mumps, rubella and varicella (MMRV) to be accepted into a degree program, to be eligible for financial aid, and/or to graduate from CT State Community College.
  • other supplemental items are required if you are an international student, a veteran, or are seeking admission to a selective admission program in the School of Nursing and Health Careers.

CT State is an open admission institution, but some programs within the college have limited enrollment and selective admission processes. Applicants to selective programs should familiarize themselves with the additional requirements detailed on specfic program pages..

Graduating high school seniors: apply and begin the enrollment process as early as possible, which includes course placement (in progress transcripts are accepted), completion of the financial aid (FAFSA) process, advising, registration, and payment of tuition and fees. Upon graduation, please ask your high school to send a final transcript to the Admissions Office.

Apply for Financial Aid

Students must be enrolled in a degree program to receive eligible financial aid, including federal grants, loans or PACT funds. The FAFSA opens October 1 of each year, and students are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Priority deadlines for financial aid are May 15 for the fall semester and October 1 for the spring semester. Students applying for financial aid after August 1 for the fall and January 1 for the spring should be prepared to pay tuition and fees at the time of registration. If eligible and approved for financial aid, the payment may be reimbursed. Payment plans are available through the campus Bursar’s or Cashier’s Office to those registered for at least six credit hours.

CT State’s FAFSA Code: 007635*

During the transition to a single,statewide college, this code will identify Capital Community College on the FAFSA. The Department of Education will update the college name on the FAFSA in the summer of 2023.

Determine Course Placement

Course placement is currently determined by final high school GPA and/or SAT/ACT scores. In some cases, students are asked to complete assessment testing. Students that have completed college-level English and/or math must send an official transcript to the Admissions office at your preferred campus for evaluation. AP Score Reports are required to transfer AP courses. Additional information is available on the Course Placement Page of the CT State website.

Former Students Seeking Readmission

Students who have previously enrolled in a degree or certificate program of study at CT State Community College, but have not attended the College for two or more years, must submit an application to the college as a readmitted student.  This includes students of any of the Connecticut Community Colleges prior to the merger of Fall 2023. Depending upon how long a student has been separated from the College, resubmission of matriculation items may also be required to complete the admission application. Matriculation items can include proof of high school completion and immunizations.

Residency in Connecticut

Applicants are asked to provide documentation which verifies their residency. Residents of Connecticut are eligible for a reduced tuition rate per this statute:

Per general statutes of CT Sec. 10a-29. (Formerly Sec. 10-329e). Determination of student status.

Per general statutes of CT Sec. 10a-30, it shall be presumed that the establishment of a new domicile in the state of Connecticut by an emancipated person has not occurred until they have resided in this state for a period of not less than one year. See general statutes 10a-27, 10a-28, 10a-29, 10a-30 for full text and related statutes.

Per Public Act 11-43, undocumented students shall be entitled to classification as an in-state student for tuition purposes, (A) if such person (i) resides in this state; (ii) attended any educational institution in this state and completed at least four years of high school level education in this state; (iii) graduated from a high school in this state, or the equivalent thereof, and is registered as an entering student, or is enrolled at a public institution of higher education in this state, and (B) if such person is without legal immigration status, such person files an affidavit with such institution of higher education stating that they have filed an application to legalize their immigration status, or will file such an application as soon as they are eligible to do so.

The Board of Trustees (now Regents) adopts the following recommendations of the New England Board of Higher Education (NEBHE) for reciprocity among the New England states through the New England regional student program, with the reservation that priorities go to Connecticut students in the event of budget and/or space limitations: 1. Nonresident students whose traveling time would be less if attending a CT State than if attending a similar instate institution are permitted to attend the Connecticut institution at the NEBHE tuition rate, which is fifty percent above the resident tuition rate, pursuant to section 10a-67 of the general statutes, as amended. 2. Nonresident students who wish to enroll in a CT State degree program which does not exist in their home states are permitted to enroll in such program at the NEBHE tuition rate.

Military Status and Establishing Residency

In order to qualify for in-state tuition, students with military status must establish residency by uploading the following documentation during the Admissions Process:

  • Active Duty Military and National Guard Members: Military Training Orders
  • Veterans: DD214
  • Dependents of Active Duty members, National Guard members, or Veterans: Military Eligibility Certificate

Transfer Admissions 

Students may transfer to CT State from other colleges for any semester. In addition to following the procedures for admission into a program, transfer students should submit an official transcript from any other college(s) and universities attended and must be an accepted or enrolled student with CT State for the completion of a transcript evaluation. Official transcript(s) must be sent by mail or sent electronically directly from your previous college(s) to the CT State Admissions Office. Student copies of transcripts/unofficial transcripts will not be accepted for transfer evaluation. Official transcripts are accepted through e-transcript services such as Parchment, College Board, and the National Student Clearinghouse and by postal mail. Transfer grades are not included in CT State’s calculation of grade point average (GPA).

Acceptance of Transfer Credit Policy at Connecticut State Colleges and Universities  

Board of Trustees Policy 3.17.1  (Approved 1973; amended 1979, 2005 and 2007.) 

At CT State, degree and certificate credit shall be granted only for credit courses completed at all institutions within the Connecticut state system of higher education and at all other collegiate institutions accredited by an agency recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation as either a “Regional Accrediting Organization” or a “Specialized and Professional Accrediting Organization” in accordance with the following: 

Degree and certificate credit shall be granted for all credit courses that are applicable to the objectives of, or equivalent to the course requirements of, the curriculum in which the transferring student enrolls. Credit work that is not applicable or equivalent to curriculum requirements shall be accepted for credit at the discretion of the College. Degree and certificate credit shall also be granted on the basis of performance on examinations in accordance with standards and limits approved by the Board of Regents. 

Degree and certificate credit shall be granted for credit courses completed with a letter grade of “C-minus” or better, or with a grade of “P” (Pass). Such credit courses shall be accepted only for credit, and letter grades assigned by other institutions shall not be recorded or included in computations of student grade point averages. 

Notwithstanding the number of degree or certificate credits which shall be granted in accordance with the foregoing, the student must complete at least twenty-five percent of the minimum credit requirements for the degree or certificate through coursework at the College awarding the degree or certificate. 

When a student seeks transfer credit for technical or specialty courses into a program that is also accredited by a national or regional specialized accrediting agency, such credits must be from a comparably accredited program. In the case of a request for transfer credit for technical or specialty courses from a non-specially accredited program, the College shall provide appropriate means for the validation of the student’s competency in the technical specialty course areas. 

This policy shall appear in all college catalogs. 

Prior Learning Assessment

CT State recognizes many ways that students arrive with experiences that merit academic credit.

Advanced Placement: Degree credit will be granted on the basis of scores on the Advanced Placement Examinations (AP Exams) administered by the College Entrance Examination Board. Students who earn a 3 or higher receive credit for the courses for which the examinations are stipulated as measures. Students must request official AP exam results from College Board to be sent to CT State Community College electronically CTState-TranscriptEval@ct.edu or mailed directly to: CT State Community College, Attn:  Admissions, Transcript Evaluation, 185 Main Street, New Britain, CT. 06051.

Academic Credit for Military Experience: Veterans may obtain transfer credit for courses successfully completed in schools of the United States Armed Forces provided such courses are deemed to be equivalent and applicable to CT State degree requirements.

Students may apply for evaluation of prior learning by utilizing one of these examination options:

  • The College Level Examination Program (CLEP), administered by the Educational Testing Service in Princeton, NJ.
  • College-developed examinations produced by some programs and departments at CT State. For further information on this option, please contact the appropriate program coordinator or department chairperson.
  • Credit through portfolio assessment. Prior learning is assessed by Charter Oak State College. Once credit is established, CT State will use the credit as part of the transfer evaluation process, transferring in credit appropriate to the student’s program of study.

College for Current High School Students

CT State offers a range of opportunities for high school students to simultaneously enroll in our college courses.  These courses are transcribed on a student’s CT State transcript and may count for both high school graduation requirements as well as towards a college certificate or degree. All students who take dual or concurrent enrollment must first apply to the College through the dual and concurrent enrollment application.

Dual and Concurrent Enrollment Programs

High School Partnership
Students who meet admissions criteria can take courses on our campus or online taught by CT State faculty, known as dual enrollment. High school juniors and seniors who are eligible for High School Partnership (HSP) can enroll in up to two courses in the fall and spring semesters of their junior and senior year tuition and fee-free. 

Concurrent Enrollment
CT State also has a number of high school locations that offer our courses taught by high school credentialled teachers, known as concurrent enrollment. Students must br in their junior or senior year also meet any remaining other admissions criteria required for the course(s).

CT State also offers the following campus-specific dual/concurrent enrollment options:

Gateway to College is a national model, where students complete their high school diploma on the CT State Gateway campus through a partnership between the local school district and the campus, and is tuition and fee-free to participating students. Through this program, you will take college courses mapped to complete your high school graduation requirements while earning college credit toward an associate degree. You must meet the same eligibility requirements as any other college student taking the same courses.

Middle College high schools are a national model, which co-locates a high school on a college campus and leverages a combination of high school partnership courses and concurrent enrollment courses to customize pathways for you to earn college credit while completing your high school diploma. Courses are offered at no cost to you or your family. You will benefit from physically being on the college campus with access to all of the college amenities and services, once dual-enrolled. These partnerships are currently offered at Manchester (Great Path Academy), Three Rivers (Three Rivers Middle College Magnet High School), and Quinebaug Valley (Quinebaug Middle College High School).

P-TECH is a national model where you may take a combination of high school partnership courses and concurrent enrollment courses, mapped to earning up to an industry-recognized associate degree in information technology. You may take college-credit-bearing classes starting in the 9th grade. This option currently exists through a partnership between Norwalk Public School and the Norwalk campus.

Self-Paying Dual Enrollment  CT State also offers the high schools student the opportunity to enroll in our courses beyond those available in the programs listed above. In this case, students must pay for all tuition, fess and other costs and meet the enrollment criteria for the course. Students taking this route are typically non-degree seeking.

For more information, please contact our recruitment staff at CTState-AdmissionsRecruitment@ct.edu

Applicants with Specific Considerations

Home Schooled Students

Homeschooled Students

  1. A home-schooled student is defined, for the purposes of this policy, as someone who has completed a secondary school education in a home school setting that is treated as a home school or private school under state law, or who is in the process of do so.
  2. Home schooled students who wish to attend Connecticut State Community College (CT State) to pursue a degree or certificate must meet the same admission requirements as any other applicant, except for providing evidence of graduation from a secondary school or obtaining a state equivalency diploma. This includes, but not necessarily limited to, completing an application, paying admissions fees, submitting evidence of inoculation against measles, mumps and rubella, taking placement tests, etc.
  3. Home schooled applicants may also submit a copy of a transcript from any secondary school attended. whether or not they may have graduated therefrom, or a copy of a federal or state equivalency diploma. or a summary of the secondary program of study they pursued, and a certificate of successful completion thereof, signed by the parent or other provider of the home schooling.
  4. Home schooled applicants may be required to submit transcripts, or records of study, if such are required for other applicants.
  5. Home schooled applicants who wish to enroll at a CT State campus, but not pursue a degree or certificate, shall be treated as any other non-matriculated student at the college.
  6. Home schooled applicants may, at the discretion of the college to which they are applying, be required to have an in-person interview with a college designee to assess the applicant’s ability to benefit from the program of study.
  7. The college shall develop such procedures, forms, and other materials as may be necessary to manage this policy.
  8. The college shall also establish an appeals process, with appeals going to the Associate Vice President of Recruitment, Admissions and Community Outreach or designee who may, in special circumstances, waive the requirements of the policy.
  9. If and when the State of Connecticut enacts laws or issues policies regarding home schooled students or their admissions to public colleges, this policy will be revised and reissued, as may be necessary, to ensure compliance therewith.

- Board Policy 5.1.5



The federal government offers a wide variety of services to veterans through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA Educational Benefits). CT State is committed to improving the resources available for student veterans on our campuses by fostering an encouraging environment to strengthen institutional and individual goals.

You are advised to apply for veterans benefits as soon as you apply for admission to the College using the information found at https://www.va.gov/education/how-to-apply/. To be eligible for VA benefits, you must be enrolled in a degree or eligible certificate program. Most credit programs and some non-credit programs offered by the College are eligible for VA benefits. Approved programs can be found at the CT Office of Higher Education https://www.ohe.ct.gov/vet/default.shtml. Once you have registered for classes and submitted your request for certification, the College will certify your enrollment to the VA. Your continued certification by the College is contingent upon meeting satisfactory academic progress guidelines (please see section below). A student whose Combined Academic Standing indicates suspension is academically ineligible to receive VA educational benefits.

Students receiving VA benefits must submit a Certification Request each semester and notify the VA Certification Team of any changes in their course load and/or program of study. Changes in course load may result in VA overpayment. Courses must meet requirements of the degree or certificate in which the veteran or dependent is enrolled.

“GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

Policy Protecting Students from Fees and Penalties Due to VA Payment Delay

In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679 subsection (e), this school adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from the VA.  This school will not:

  • Prevent the students enrollment; Assess a late penalty fee to;
  • Require student secure alternative or additional funding;
  • Deny their access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

  • Provide Chapter 33 Certificate of Eligibility (or its equivalent) or for Chapter 31, VA VR&E’s contract with the school on VA Form 28-1905 (or its equivalent) by the first day of class. 

 Note: Chapter 33 students can register at the VA Regional Office to use E-Benefits to get the equivalent of a Chapter 33 Certificate of Eligibility. Chapter 31 student cannot get a completed VA Form 28-1905 (or its equivalent) before the VA VR&E case-manager issues it to the school.

  • Provide written request to be certified;
  • Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies 
  • In addition, the VA GI Bill Comparison Tool will identify schools that have additional requirements.

Academic Standing

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) regulations require that all students receiving VA educational benefits meet the College’s academic standing policy as stated in the CT State college catalog. Students failing to meet the academic standards will have their VA educational benefits discontinued in accordance with the institution policy. Students who are suspended for failing to meet the College’s academic standing policy will be reported to the VA. Students may appeal their academic suspension in accordance with CT State policy. (Please see “Academic Suspension” section of this Handbook.) Should the appeal be successful, the student’s enrollment will be reported retroactively to VA for the enrollment period to which the appeal applies.

Veterans Tuition Waiver

A waiver of general fund tuition is extended to all eligible Connecticut Veterans with service during certain wartime periods. Members of the Connecticut National Guard may also be eligible for waivers of tuition.

To be eligible for a tuition waiver, veterans must:

  • be honorably discharged or released under honorable conditions for active service in the U.S. Armed Forces (U.S. Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, and Coast Guard). National Guard members, activated under Title 10 of the United States Code, also are included.
  • have served at least 90 or more cumulative days active duty in time of war (please see Periods of Service below), except if separated from service earlier because of a federal Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) rated service-connected disability; or the war, campaign, or operation lasted less than 90 days and service was for the duration.
  • be accepted for admission at CT State.
  • be domiciled in Connecticut at the time of acceptance, which includes domicile for less than one year.
  • Veterans must submit their DD-214 (Discharge Papers) to the Certification Team.  Tuition waivers are not provided for Summer Session, Winter Intersession, or Credit-Free Courses.

Periods of Service

Only those who served in the following manner may qualify:

Active duty for at least 90 days during:

  • World War II……………………….. December 7, 1941 - December 31, 1946
  • Korean Conflict…………………… June 27, 1950 - January 31, 1955
  • Vietnam Era……………………….. February 28, 1961 - July 1, 1975
  • Persian Gulf War…………………. August 2, 1990 - Until an ending date prescribed by Presidential proclamation or by law (no end date at this time).  All military war service subsequent to August 2,1990, is covered,   including but not limited to, Enduring Freedom, Noble Eagle, Iraqi Freedom, Somalia, and Bosnia.

Engaged in combat or in a combat support role in:

  • Lebanon……………………………. July 1, 1958 - November 1, 1958, or September 29, 1982-March 30, 1984
  • Grenada……………………………. October 25, 1983 - December 15, 1983
  • Operation Earnest Will………….. July 24, 1987 - August 1, 1990 (escort of Kuwaiti oil tankers flying the U.S. flag in the Persian Gulf)
  • Panama…………………………….. December 20, 1989 - January 31, 1990

Reservists must be mobilized in time of war for other than training purposes.

Connecticut National Guard Tuition Assistance

CT National Guard members will need to file an application with their unit before the beginning of each semester. The Certificate of Eligibility that is issued from the CT National Guard must be on file with your campus Certifying Official before the registration process can be completed.

Tuition waivers are not provided for Summer Session, Winter Intersession, or Credit-Free Courses.

Dependent Children/Surviving Spouse Waivers

State statutes also provide that tuition at Connecticut public colleges and universities may be waived for:

any Connecticut resident who is a dependent child or a surviving spouse of a member of the Armed Forces killed in action on or after September 11, 2001, who was a Connecticut resident; and

state residents who are dependent children of a person whom the Armed Forces has declared to be either missing in action or a prisoner of war while serving in the Armed Forces after January 1, 1960.

Courses Subject to Waiver

Tuition Waivers are for credit courses during the spring and fall semesters ONLY and are not provided for summer session, winter intersession, or Continuing Education/credit-free courses.

Expenses Not Covered

College costs other than tuition - such as for books, student activity and course fees, parking - are not waived.  Waivers may also be reduced by the amount of education reimbursement you may receive from your employer. 

For further information on Veterans Services, please click on your designated campus link below.

Principles of Excellence

CT State adheres to the principles outlined in the Principles of Excellence executive order.

  • Provide students with a personalized form covering the total cost of an education program.
  • Provide educational plans for all Military and Veteran education beneficiaries.
  • End fraudulent and aggressive recruiting techniques and misrepresentation.
  • Provide accommodations for Service Members and Reservists absent due to service requirements.
  • Designate a Point of Contact for academic and financial advising.
  • Ensure accreditation of all new programs prior to enrolling students.
  • Align institutional refund policies with those under Title IV.

Foreign Schools, High Schools, On-the-Job Training and Apprenticeship programs, Residency and Internship programs, and those who do not charge tuition and fees were not asked to comply with the Principles of Excellence.

The VA’s Comparison tool will let you see if the school you are interested in attending participates in the Principles of Excellence program.

Veterans Oasis

CT State is dedicated to supporting our military community with their transition from service members to students. Each CT state campus provides a safe space specifically for veterans to study, relax and build comradery with other student veterans. Campuses also offer information on how to access Veteran Administration benefits for all who are eligible. Please see the links below for specific information for the campus you are attending.


International Students

CT State Community College (CT State) is authorized by the United States Government under the Department of Homeland Security and United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), to enroll academically qualified international students into all Associate Degree Programs.

F-1 international students entering the United States will be admitted to CT State Community College for the Fall and Spring semesters of each academic year, must attend full time (12 or more credit/semester hours), and must maintain their full-time status to remain eligible for the duration of their F-1 Visa Status.

Application Deadlines

New Students:

  • Fall Semester - June15th
  • Spring Semester - November 1st

Transfer Students (with an active I-20 from another US college/university):

  • Fall Semester - July 20th
  • Spring Semester - December 20th

All relevant information requested to complete the Application Process for a SEVIS I-20 must be provided by the due dates. Applicants unable to submit the required documentation by the due dates will be considered for the following semester and will have to submit updated financial documentation.

Admissions & SEVIS I-20 Documentation

CT State is an open enrollment institution and students are admitted into their Degree Programs upon completing the CT STATE Application process. CT State is not a Language Institute and does not issue SEVIS I-20’s for Intensive English Language Studies across all campuses.

*Note:  CT State Community College is not a Language Institute and does not issue SEVIS I-20s for Intensive English Language Studies across all campuses.

The Admissions Application and all relevant documentation for requesting a SEVIS I-20 must be submitted to the Principal Designated School Official (PDSO) or Designated School Official (DSO) at CT State Community College. The following documentation must be provided by the prospective student before a SEVIS I-20 can be issued by CT State Community College (CT STATE). All documents must be translated into English, validated, and notarized as being an official, accurate translation.

New Students:

  1. A completed CT State Community College Application
  2. Proof of high school graduation or its equivalent
  3. Proof of immunization against measles, mumps, rubella and varicella (chicken pox); a record of two doses of each required immunization must be on file with CT State prior to acceptance.
  4. Copy of the student’s passport (biographical page only)
  5. English Proficiency:
    1. TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language), IELTS (International English Language Testing System), or Duolingo official scores. The minimum TOEFL score for admission is 61 on the internet-based version. The minimum IELTS score for admission is 5.5. The minimum Duolingo score for admission is 85.
    2. a.*Note: If your home campus is Norwalk, in Norwalk, CT, English placement can be provided upon arrival.
  6. Financial Sponsor & Affidavit of Support:
    Affidavit of Support and supporting financial documents noting the student’s intended source of financing available to cover their educational and living expenses while in the United States. All financial documents, including bank statements, must be in English and note currency values in US dollar equivalencies. (Please note that all funds must be liquid assets. Stock/Mutual/Retirement accounts/properties are not considered liquid assets.)
  7. Housing Plan Letter showing student’s intended US address, as well as permanent homeland address.

Transfer Students:

Transfer students in F-1 status transferring from a college/university in the US must provide

  1. A completed CT State Community College Application
  2. Proof of high school graduation or its equivalent
  3. Proof of immunization against measles, mumps, rubella and varicella (chicken pox); a record of two doses of each required immunization must be on file with CT State prior to acceptance.
  4. Proof that they are currently in status and eligible for transfer
  5. A copy of F-1 Visa passport page
  6. A copy of their current I-20, current college transcript
  7. An International Student Transfer Form. This is provided by CT State Community College
  8. English Proficiency:
    1. While it is expected that an international applicant will have some level of English proficiency, the student’s actual level of English proficiency will be determined upon their arrival on campus. All students must complete English and Math Placement Assessment prior to course registration or provide an official college transcript form the previous college/university showing completion of the of required college-level math and English courses.
    2. Transfer students may also submit TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language), IELTS (International English Language Testing System), or Duolingo official scores. The minimum TOEFL score for admission is 61 on the internet-based version. The minimum IELTS score for admission is 5.5. The minimum Duolingo score for admission is 85.
  9. Financial Sponsor & Affidavit of Support:
    Affidavit of Support and supporting financial documents noting the student’s intended source of financing available to cover their educational and living expenses while in the United States. All financial documents, including bank statements, must be in English and note currency values in US dollar equivalencies. (Please note that all funds must be liquid assets. Stock/Mutual/Retirement accounts/properties are not considered liquid assets.)
  10. Housing Plan Letter showing student’s intended US address, as well as permanent homeland address.

For the complete list of international students’ admission requirements, please visit www.ct.edu/international.



Senior Citizens - Tuition Waiver

Connecticut residents aged 62 or older who have been accepted for admission to Connecticut State Community College shall be exempt from payment of tuition, general fees, and the application fee provided if, at the end of the regular registration period, there is space available in the course(s) in which the person intends to enroll. Proof of age must be submitted to the Business Office to complete the eligibility requirements for this waiver.